Are You Afraid of Garage Door Repair07/31/2013 Back To Blog
The truth is that some garage door parts may intimidate people because they can become dangerous and, in this case, you would just need to get acquainted with their needs, get the right equipment and obtain the right knowledge for successful repairs. On the other hand, there are some parts, which are completely harmless and still require your attention and maintenance. In any case, you must keep in mind that the main golden rules for your safety apply either you are engaging on complicated tasks or easy ones. You must keep your knowledge, take care of the tools and forget that you have done the same task over and over again in the past. Believing you are a very experience handyman can turn against you; just try to concentrate on your job in order to do it well.
Tasks for the appearance of the door
- Clean the surface and the parts with caution. If you have aluminum overhead doors, you can pour as much water as you want, but you must be careful with wood and keep water away from the electric parts.
- Take care of the door’s color by scrubbing off the old painting and applying the new powder coat. Remember to apply a layer of a coating that will reinforce its resistance.
Tasks for the security
- If you notice that the door is not properly aligned, you should do garage door adjustment, but you must be careful because the door is heavy.
- It’s easy checking the condition and removing the dirt from the garage door tracks to allow the good movement of the door.
- Garage door opener sensors maintenance is easy and extremely important. You just need to make sure they are facing one another and they are dusted properly.
- You must check the wires of the opener. It’s easy to see that they are in place.
- Of course, if you need to check the springs, you must be very careful and if you want to avoid messing with them often, you should lubricate them relatively often.
Tasks for insulation
- Replace easily the bottom seal to keep elements out.
- Check the possibility of rust or mildew on the surface of the door when you are cleaning it.
- Get a kit with insulation materials to insulate the door. This is not the easiest procedure, but if you follow the instructions properly, you have nothing to worry about.